Peripleo is an initiative by Pelagios Commons, developed under the leadership of the Austrian Institute of Technology, Exeter University, The Open University, the University of London School of Advanced Study and the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society.
Partners & Data Sources
Below is an alphabetical list of all partners whose data is currently indexed by Peripleo.
- American Numismatic Society MANTIS: A Numismatic Technologies Integration Service
- ARCHER | Archives Archives of the American Numismatic Society
- Beta Maṣāḥǝft The project Beta maṣāḥǝft: Manuscripts of Ethiopia and Eritrea (Schriftkultur des christlichen Äthiopiens: eine multimediale Forschungsumgebung) is a long-term project funded within the framework of the Academies Programme (coordinated by the Union of the German Academies of Sciences and Humanities) under survey of the Akademie der Wissenschaften in Hamburg. The funding will be provided for 25 years, from 2016–2040. The project is hosted by the Hiob Ludolf Centre for Ethiopian Studies at the University of Hamburg. It aims at creating a virtual research environment that shall manage complex data related to predominantly Christian manuscript tradition of the Ethiopian and Eritrean Highlands.
- Beta Maṣāḥǝft Places
- China Historical GIS A free database of placenames and historical administrative units for the Chinese Dynasties.
- Coin Hoards of the Roman Republic Coin Hoards of the Roman Republic (CHRR) is an actively updated index of gold and silver hoards mainly composed of coins of the Roman Republican period.
- Coinage of the Roman Republic Online An online type corpus based upon the numbering system defined in Michael Crawford's 1974 publication, Roman Republican Coinage (RRC).
- Coptic SCRIPTORIUM Dataset Coptic SCRIPTORIUM ANNIS queries for geographic enties.
- Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire
- Digitizing Early Farming Cultures Digitizing Early Farming Cultures (DEFC) provides standardized and integrated research data of Neolithic and Chalcolithic sites and finds of Greece and Anatolia (c. 7000-3000 BC according to Greek terminology). The project aims to overcome the fragmentation of research data that developed because of different research traditions in Greece and Anatolia. Non-digital and digital sources from publications and from a series of research projects at the OREA Institute, Austrian Academy of Sciences formed the basis of the project.
- Epigraphic Database Heidelberg The Epigraphic Database Heidelberg contains the texts of Latin and bilingual (i.e. Latin-Greek) inscriptions of the Roman Empire.
- Europeana Network of Ancient Greek and Latin Epigraphy (EAGLE) A dataset of annotated inscriptions from the EAGLE aggregator.
- Fasti Online A database of archaeological excavations undertaken across the Classical World since the year 2000.
- finds.org.uk Pleiades annotations for data contained within the Portable Antiquities Scheme (mostly numismatic material).
- GeoNames (subset)
- Heritage Gazetteer of Cyprus
- Heritage Gazetteer of Libya The aim of the Heritage Gazetteer of Libya is to record, and to provide with unique identifiers, locations and monuments within modern Libya which are of significance to the history of the area up to 1950.
- Inscriptions of Ancient Sicily A digital corpus of the inscriptions of ancient Sicily
- MoEML GeoJSON version of the Map of Early Modern London Gazetteer, generated from SVN revision 11029.
- Nomisma.org Partner Objects Pleiades annotations relating to coins of Nomisma.org partners, made available through semantic reasoning between typologies, Nomisma SKOS concepts, and Pleiades URIs. Organizations that directly contribute to Pelagios (e.g., American Numismatic Society) are supressed from this data dump.
- Online Coins of the Roman Empire A corpus of coin types from the Roman Empire, from Augustus (27 B.C.) to Zeno (A.D. 491).
- Open Context Publication and exhibition of open research data and media from archaeology and related fields
- Pelagios 3 Sample documents from the Pelagios 3 research project.
- PELLA PELLA is a coin type corpus of Macadonian kings of the Argead dynasty (c. 700-310 B.C.).
- Pleiades A community-built gazetteer and graph of ancient places. It publishes authoritative information about ancient places and spaces, providing unique services for finding, displaying, and reusing that information under open license.
- The Fralin | UVa Art Museum Numismatic Collection The Fralin Museum of Art at the University of Virginia numismatic collection contains about 600 coins of mainly Greco-Roman origin.
- ToposText Places
- University of Graz The University of Graz contributes its collections to Pelagios via the institutional repository GAMS, provided by the Centre for Information Modelling.
- Ure Museum Database The Ure Museum collections contain material from the Greek and Greco-Roman civilisations of the Mediterranean, most notably Greek and Etruscan ceramics and terracottas.
- Web Resources Related to Open Context Published Places This dataset relates archaeological site records published by Open Context to content published elsewhere on the Web. In some cases, Open Context contributors and/or editors manually identified these relationships. In other cases, software processes followed by editorial checks identified linkages expressed in this dataset.
If you want to cite Peripleo in a publication, please list our URL and the time you accessed it, as in the following example:
Peripleo, an initiative of Pelagios Commons, http://peripleo.pelagios.org/ (accessed 21 March 2018)
Alternatively, you can cite the following publication:
Rainer Simon, Leif Isaksen, Elton Barker, Pau de Soto Cañamares. 2016. Peripleo: a Tool for Exploring Heterogeneous Data through the Dimensions of Space and Time. In Code4Lib Issue 31 (2016-01-28). ISSN 1940-5758.